Thursday, May 9, 2013

Wisteria




Wisteria is a beautiful but rarely used floral name that could be due for resurrection. 2011 was the first time in over 30 years that the name was given to five or more girls in the U.S., when seven girls received this as a name. Yet she feels like she could fit right in with today's trend for vintage feeling, frilly up and coming flower monikers. She could easily be a fashionable sister to a Primrose, Marigold, or Magnolia.

The wisteria (pronounced wi-STEER-ee-uh) is a climbing vine with gorgeous pale purple blue flowers. The name shares some sounds with the words whimsical, whisper and wishful, which helps to evoke a delicate, soft, light and almost magical feel when you hear it. This makes it a lovely name for a girl, especially one who believes in fairies and fairy tales. 

Wisteria also comes with some very cute nickname options. My personal favourite is Wish, but I've also seen Ria, Terry, Whis and Wisty suggested. Wisty in particular was chosen by author James Patterson as a nickname for his character Wisteria Allgood in the novel 'Witch and Wizard', so carries a literary reference for mystery lovers.


There are just two things you might want to keep in mind (and avoid - please) if you are considering using Wisteria:
  1. Don't be tempted to use the alternate spelling of Wysteria. It's just a little too close for comfort to hysteria, meaning uncontrolled excitement, anger or panic.
  2. Resist the urge to use Lane, Layne or Laine as a middle name. Maybe you are a 'Desperate Housewives' fan, maybe not, but there is no need to give a child the same name as the fictional street where the show was set.

If you can get around these two minor potential pitfalls, Wisteria is a great special yet not 'weird' name that many girls would love to have and make her own.



11 comments:

  1. I love this name and am so excited you honored it with it's own post. It's in my top 10 girls names and my entire family thinks I'm crazy. (I'm going for crazy-awesome at this point).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely crazy awesome :)

      Delete
    2. Well i think crazy is Good its a wonderful name my mother altered my name with the Y but i wouldn't want it spelled any other way two i's in a name is too much if you ask me ;)

      Delete
  2. I worked in a David's Bridal and on of the colors for the Bridesmaid dresses was Wisteria. I feel in love admittedly. The nickname Wish is amazing! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this name! I think Wish makes the best nickname ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this name. Love it! I'm adding it to my list, which also has Aurelia, Azalea, Gardenia and Magnolia. I'm sensing a theme! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a gorgeous sibset those names would make!

      Delete
  5. My name is Wisteria, and people call me Wisty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the name Wisteria, I was reading a book on vocabulary and it came up. I read all the words in the book and when that came up I thought it was the prettiest out of all the other beautiful words I read. I think if I ever have kids I will name one this. My favorite name used to be Elizabeth now its Wisteria <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a Wisteria and an Esmeralda. The Emerald was going to be a Jasmine- so two flowering vines- but hubs already had a Yasmin :( Really disappointed with that one, but Wisteria goes by nickname Wish and Wisty, Esmeralda goes by Esme or Emerald; and now we are due for a third and I believe she will likely be a Violet.... And maybe someday I'll have a Zinnia :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always fancied the name Wisteria... but could never be okay with the nick names. After reading this article, I am convinced Wisty is actually an adorable nick name.

    I have no children, but the animals in my family are like them and I take it seriously when it comes to naming them. We just picked up a new kitten. I already have a Delta nn Dell, Tallulah nn Lou, Magnolia nn Maggie, Mage, and Cypress nn Cy. Currently considering adding a Wisty to the family! Thanks for the article.

    ReplyDelete